When considering renting commercial real estate in Jackson, MS, multiple factors should be taken into account. To find the perfect space, it is essential to have a thorough understanding of the market and establish realistic expectations.
With much to consider when renting Jackson, MS commercial real estate, navigating the process can feel overwhelming at times. We hope to give you a variety of helpful tips and things to think about so that you can be as successful as possible in your search!
Tips for Finding Buildings for Rent in Jackson, MS
When you’re choosing a place to rent for your business, it’s important to think about every aspect of it— the good and the not-so-good. The following are some things to keep in mind:
Find the Right Location
Try to find a walkable location near public transportation if you plan to sell things like clothing or food.
If your customers are tourists or others who will be using their cars extensively, make sure there’s easy highway access nearby. You may also want to choose a location with ample parking, so customers can come in without worrying about where they’re going to park.
For office space in Jackson, MS, consider how easy it is for employees to get to work. Can they easily take public transportation or the highway? Do they have a safe place to park their car for 8 hours?
Research the Property Management Company and Building Owner
Owners of commercial spaces will often hire a property management company to handle things like rent collection, maintenance, lockout services, cleaning, and other everyday tasks. It’s important that you know how well these two parties work together.
For example, if a property management company doesn’t quickly handle maintenance requests, that could create an issue for your business. Or if the building owner doesn’t pay their mortgage on time, you could be at risk of losing your space.
Research the management company and owner online and talk to other tenants and neighbors. This will help you seek out the red flags and avoid getting into a situation that’s bad for business!
Check Local Zoning Laws
Local zoning laws may set limits for how you can operate your business. Do not assume that the building owner or property management company understands zoning laws.
A landlord may assume their building can be used for a certain type of business – say, a restaurant – only for you to realize that local zoning laws don’t allow it. Doing your own research will help you avoid legal confrontation with the local government.
Consider Lease Terms
When you find the perfect Jackson, MS commercial real estate building, it can be tempting to quickly sign the lease, so you can get all settled in. However, it’s important to carefully consider the terms of your lease.
- What is the duration of the lease? A typical commercial real estate lease lasts for 5-10 years, but that might not be ideal for your business. A shorter lease with the option to renew at the end may give you greater flexibility.
- What is included in the lease? Check to see if your rent includes any building-related expenses, taxes, insurance, and operating expenses that may increase over time. This will help you plan for expenses now and in the future.
- Can you renovate the space? Depending on the type of business you operate, you may want to change changes to the building. Make sure you understand which changes you can make, who will pay for them, and who will own the products used when your lease ends.
- What happens if you need to break the lease? Things happen in life and business that we can’t predict, and you may need to get out of your lease early. Be sure the terms of doing so are clearly defined, understand exactly what you will have to pay, and negotiate other options. For example, you may be able to break the lease without any penalties if you find someone to sublet the space to. If subletting is not included in the lease when it’s presented to you, ask for it to be added and negotiate the terms.
- What kind of insurance do you need? Insurance is critical when it comes to buildings for rent in Jackson, MS. Your lease should clearly spell out which types of insurance are included (if any), what they cover, and who will pay for them. This also might mean you should have your property appraised, so you understand how much protection it needs.
In addition to understanding what you should consider when renting retail, restaurant, or office space in Jackson, MS, you can take advantage of some tools that will help make the search process easier.
Tools for Renting Jackson, MS Real Estate
These tools can help you find buildings for rent in Jackson, MS that fit your needs and budget.
Online Search Platforms
Building owners and property management companies often use commercial real estate portals to post vacant space. You can search by location, space size, building details, and more.
Real Estate Lawyers
Real estate lawyers who specialize in commercial properties are your best resource for understanding the terms of your lease. They will be able to read the fine print and ensure you aren’t taken advantage of. They can also negotiate terms in your best interest, so renting office space in Jackson, MS is a mutually beneficial agreement between yourself and the landlord.
Real Estate Agents and Brokers
Talk with your local commercial real estate agent about the things that are important to you. They’ll know what locations and features will attract the kind of business you want and will be able to help you navigate through the complex terms of commercial leases.
Try to find someone who has connections with other businesses in the area, too—they could give you some insight into what’s right for your market and how the location stacks up against its competition nearby.
Contact Speed Commercial Real Estate
Speed Commercial Real Estate is here to help you find commercial properties for rent in Jackson, MS, and make sure you get the best deal possible. We’ll help you set up meetings with owners and answer any questions you have about pricing or negotiating terms. Contact us when you’re ready to rent Jackson, MS commercial real estate space!